Eagle Copters' Bell 212 helicopter upgrade, the Flying Orca Eagle Single, is now certified to operate in Japan. The supplemental type certificate to convert a Bell 212 helicopter to an Eagle Single is now certified by the Japan Civil Aviation Bureau (JCAB).
The Eagle Single is designed to be the workhorse in the Bell medium helicopter market. The STC approval process converts the respected Bell 212 helicopter from a twin engine to a nine-passenger single engine providing more overall capability with lower operating costs. This all-commercial helicopter ensures lasting value, product support, part commonality, aftermarket accessory availability and unmatched performance. The Eagle Single is currently certified in Canada, USA, Australia, Chile, Peru, Indonesia and now Japan.
As a by-product of the conversion, the Eagle Single has a resulting loss of weight from removing one engine, the original heavy avionics and associated wiring, producing a medium helicopter in the 5,900 lb empty weight range.
While maintaining the type certificate of the Bell 212, owners and operators alike enjoy the inherent benefits of the Bell 212, such as the 11,200 lb gross weight limitation, common Bell 212 part numbers, dual hydraulics, enhanced 212 airframe structure and the availability of the aftermarket accessories commonly found on today's working machines.
The traditional cost of operation has been reduced, allowing for more operating profits. Reliability has also been enhanced by incorporating modern-day avionics and upgrades to the instrument panel, fuel panel and collective head design.
Ozark Aeroworks, an Eagle Copters partner, recently purchased the T53 series engine type certificate from Honeywell Aerospace. This ensures Eagle Copters, through Ozark Aeroworks, is well positioned to produce and service the T53 engine used in the Eagle Single, thus reducing overall operating costs.
Eagle's team of experts will work with customers to customise and configure the Eagle Single to meet specific mission requirements, making it one of the most versatile helicopters.
Mission applications include:
- Personal and film production: Eagle Copters completed an Eagle Single for a company that flies the aircraft specifically for film productions. This Eagle Single included full mechanical and cosmetic upgrades and is well documented throughout the film industry having appeared in some notable productions.
- Firefighting: A few Eagle Single Helicopters have been configured specifically for firefighting missions around the world including USA, Canada and Australia.
- Utility: One of the most popular Eagle Single configurations is for utility work. The 5,900 lb empty weight range and 11,200 lb gross weight limitation make the Eagle Single the helicopter of choice for utility work.
- Forestry: The Eagle Single configured for forestry work has been crucial for organisations implementing natural resource management, emergency stabilisation of burned forest areas, rehabilitation of burned and disturbed areas, and aerial seeding of remote forested areas.
- Search and Rescue: The Eagle Single equipped for search and rescue is with a government agency in the USA and is outfitted with external hoist operations and full night vision goggles (NVG) capabilities.